Auto Repair | Brakes | Fort Collins
As residents of Fort Collins, we are used to crazy weather. We never know what to expect in Northern Colorado. However, we do know it’s important to properly maintain your vehicle and your brake system is one of the most important parts of your car. Learn the warning signs that your brake pads might be failing, so you can schedule an auto repair for replacement and have peace of mind in all Fort Collins seasons.
Regular Auto Maintenance
There are many auto repairs that require regular maintenance and as a general guideline, drivers should have their brake pads replaced every 50,000 miles. It's smart to have your mechanic check the brake pads every time you take in your vehicle for an oil change or tune-up. Weston Automotive is happy to do that for you free of charge.
Your mechanic may recommend a certain type of brake pad, but something to note is carbon-ceramic brake pads outperform the baseline steel brake pads, but they are quite pricey.
Driving Styles Affects Brake Pad Life
Fort Collins city driving, which features a lot of stop and go traffic, is harder on brake pads than highway or rural driving, so urban drivers may need to change the brake pads more frequently. Likewise, if you are riding the brakes because you're cruising up and down the mountains every weekend, you may have to change your car's brake pads more often.
Driving style affects brake pad longevity, too: If you brake gradually, you will get more mileage from brakes than if you slam on the brakes to a hard stop. While safety is always the top priority, you may shift your driving habits a bit to be gentler on your ride and delay future auto repairs.
Warning Signs Your Car Needs New Brake Pads
- Check Engine or Brake light on - The brake light is designed to alert drivers to brake systems problems, so if yours is on, get things checked out
- Grinding or scraping noises when you press the brakes - These metal-on-metal scraping noises indicate your brake pads are worn out and should be replaced
- Soft pedal - If your car won't brake until your foot is on the floor, you need new brakes ASAP
- Leaks in the driveway - If your driveway is stained with fluid leaks, you could have a leak in the brake lines - which would affect your ability to come to a hard stop
- Drifting to one side when you brake - If your car pulls to the left or right when you brake, it could be a brake caliper issue
If you notice any of the following signs, make an appointment with Weston Automotive for auto repair now. We are consistently 5-star rated by our clients for the numerous auto repair services that we offer in Fort Collins. As reliable mechanics, we will inspect your brake system, find what's at fault, and fix your vehicle so you can drive safely with peace of mind.